Power of Engineering had a fantastic year in 2014. We ran more events and reached more students this year than ever before. In 2014 we focused on creating a strong Executive Committee and Advisory Board and on our deliverables which fit into our core organisational objectives.
In 2014 we expanded to two new states with events in Perth and Sydney and ran 11 events in Queensland reaching approximately 990 year nine and ten high school students. Queensland events were held in Dalby (two events), Miles, Chinchilla, Roma, Brisbane (four events) and Caboolture.
Highlights of the high school event program include:
- The Brisbane program was sold out in March
- Brisbane schools reported changes in subject selection after attending our events including
- School 1 – Engineering Technology class increased from 0 to 7 girls
- School 2 – Engineering Technology class increased from and 17 to 38 girls
- School 3 – Physics class increased from 8 to 20 girls
- South west Queensland events were hugely successful, attracting 291 students from across the region, representing a 137% increase on 2013 events
- Perth had the highest conversion of 75% from no to a yes when considering a career in engineering
- Sydney was our biggest event with 140 students attending